January 06, 2011

Serendipity...

Well Serendipity is a story that was written as a part of YOURS TRULY, Complete the Story Contest. Thought i started writing the story long back but couldn't complete it on time. Better late than never, I finally decided to make this Serendipitous couple to call it a day. A young couple who met by chance and destiny had something reserved for them. EnJoY....


It was raining heavily, pouring down, a welcome respite from the heat of the past week. Huddled under the small over-crowded bus stand, I was waiting for the rain to letup so I could walk back from work, when suddenly, out of nowhere, she came walking towards me, and then….

and then with soft effortless accent she asked,
“Is this wallet yours?”

I was surprised by the unexpected suave voice as my eye brows accentuated my expression…

I at ones fished out my fiddling hand into my rear pocket and when I found it empty. The ground under my feet toppled for a moment…

In a jiffy, I took wallet and puffed bountiful of fresh air when I found the purse was mine and my credit card was intact.
“Thank you”, I said.

She smiled and it was so flawless that couldn’t let my eyes off from her. Her black salwar perfectly rolled over her body that had elegance to make any stranger fall in love with her. Her locks numerically dangled twice before it just caressed her soft sleeveless shoulder. “What a beauty”, I told myself.

My eyes met her just for a moment when a red color Volvo screeched to halt. Without even saying a word she disappeared into the crowd. I saw her for the last time through the window. Her eyes caught mine again as I was lost in her with a sense of appreciation. There was a lengthy pause as if the moment had just frozen. The frank and innocent look of mine had won a smile from her. There was a language in her eyes which I couldn’t fathom. I was oblivious for a moment and suddenly the Volvo had hit its stride before I could ask for her number. I felt sad but to no avail…

I felt unusually happy under my belly. I wish I too had boarded the bus along with her.
On a second thought, it was just serendipity and this isn’t a movie. I kept mulling the sweet experience and couldn’t realize when it stopped pouring and I had strolled all the way to my guesthouse.



“Jan 4th, Monday, Bangalore express, M-26, M-27”,
I re-read my tickets for confirmation.

“Hey Rohit, Look its Shweta Rai, F-24 on berth num 8”
I got up as I traced my finger on the semi dampen chart stuck to the coach.

and here’s Govindraj Rai, M-53, her father”, I said jokingly

My father- in- law, u jack ass”, chirped Sandip.

We both giggled as we boarded the train as it started pulling forward slowly.

Sandip and me were friends from same college and happened to be colleagues working for Samsung electronics. We were traveling back to Bangalore after a short business trip from Chennai.

I was trying to adjust my suitcase under the huge pit of darkness under my seat.




Sorry, I didn’t hear you?, a soft suave voice floated in our compartment.

I looked back and was stuck with awe. It was beauty that was all ready defined in my heart. The same black salwar, her strands religiously making two curls before kissing her shoulder and the same captivating eyes radiating an extraordinary sensuousness…
I felt blank and a tremor of restless excitement raced across my body. Her eyes locked mine again and this time with more sense of invitation. She raised her eyebrows and broke the lines of glance with a very debonair blush as if waiting for me to say Hi…

Is this berth yours, I mean 8-9”?, Rahul retaliated

Am sorry… I mean come again”,

Birds chirped in Sandy’s head, Gathering courage and tossing his hair, he tired to gather her attention…

Yes, its ours….Shweta keep our luggage’s on the top”, an elderly person raised his voice making his way through the aisle.

“Papa, where have u been?”

And here comes Mr. GovindRaj Rai, her father stout and tall”, I whispered Sandip.
And here comes My father in law, stout and tall”, Sandy giggled.

“So, Young man where are you traveling to…? You guys seems to be software engineers if I am not mistaken”

I being a shy guy kept mum, still lost in the mystery of meeting the salwar girl again.

Sandy looked at his Samsung tag relentlessly hanging around his neck and tried to win the moment from his future father in law with his petite and so called smart reply.

“Yes Sir, we work for Samsung in Bangalore” and forwarded his SWATCH tied right handed wrist for a shake.

Mr. Rai held his stout palm that was weaken with passé of time.
“And here is Rohit , my friend.”, Sandip introduced me.

Meet my daughter Shweta doing her engineering from Mount Carmel”, Mr Rai introduced her as Sandip raced his hand before me to cuddle her palm.

She raised her hand too, a well manicured one and tiny pearl kept sitting on her middle figure adding to her femininity.

and when she shook her hand with me, it was just a touch of her that made me feel like a soothing sensation reliving my long tired nerves.


The train had hit its stride and the outside world seemed to travel back in time. The rain last evening added to the panoramic view of the nature. The huts, cows and the green field appeared as if making a collage of images in our eyes and then disappearing in a wink. Meanwhile Mr. Rai had opened his first series of Samosas and laddus.
Unable to react to his sumptuous snacks, Sandip fished out his laptop playing an old hindi Kishore Kumar number.

Mr Rai smiled at him as the melodious Kishore kumar came alive in our compartment. Sandip felt a sense of achievement as he gazed at Shweta.

It was a wasted gaze.
Shweta was busy feasting her eyes outside the window with the moving trees and green fields.

“May, I help you Sir?”

I was surprised at Sandip’s sudden tone as the train kept mildly swinging gaining speed.

He took the sauce packet from Mr. Rai helpless hand and opened it with a flare. He spread the thick liquid on the Samosas gazing at Shweta again.

She smiled in return and then this time she looked at me too. Our eyes met for the second time.

“And what do you guys do, apart from racking your head on Software code?”

That was an elderly question as if he is trying to judge the young personality traits of her daughter’s generation.

“I like reading Uncle…

Sherlock Holmes is my favorite and Conan Doyle is my hero”


That was a quick one from Sandy… and his talks from “Sir” to “Uncle”…. his eyes oozed a sense of achievement.

“and what about Rohit”?

“Rohit doesn’t like reading. He doesn’t have patience to do that. He is part of “I can Dance 2”, salsa dance school and often keep doing dance shows..”

Looking at me Mr. Rai queried…

“I Can Dance 2…..Sounds familiar…
Are you the guys who performed at Maniapl County this Christmas?”


Aaah… Yees…..Yes uncle”, I fumbled for words as I spoke for the first time looking at Shweta.

She looked at me too…
and this time buying some time for a gasp of air, I managed to heave a smile at her.

“Ohh that’s great, when are you having your next show? And salsa seems to be a great dance form?

“Excactly papa, Salsa is very lively to dance and its feast watching professionals doing it”

I was rather surprised at Shweta quick reaction and was pleased to know her fondness for the dance. I felt now more confident and now I gambling my words more manfully I answered:

“Sure Sir… its at Kyra theatre….
Thurdsay…..
7Pm ”


I looked at Shweta and nodded my head with confidence.

“You mean Kyra restaurant @100 ft road, the food there is really sumptuous, papa hates though, he says the taste there comes with a huge dent in the pocket”

Mr. Rai defended, “I don’t hate the restaurant, but the dinner there a weekend would not allow me to spend for the entire week freely”

“That’s right Sir, but we have a show…..”

“That’s Ok” , Mr. Rai interrupted.


*************************************************************************************

It was early morning 6 O’ clock and we boarded down the Bangalore station. We bid our farewell to Shweta and Mr. Rai as we walked towards the taxi stand. I wanted to talk to Shweta ones but my guts did not win over my heart because she never turned back to respond my good bye. I was a bit shattered.


“Dude, I gave her my number”

I was pretty surprised…

“When ?”

Sandip tossed his hair with a style

“Remember , I borrowed her Film Fare, while returning her I had jotted down my number on the last page”

I pinched him hard and cursed myself on my sad presence of mind.

“You moron…Bloody you are a pro in wooing girls”


*************************************************************************************

It was 7:30 PM and it was Saturday. I was getting lots of applause from the audience and from my friends for a wonderful piece of Salsa performance. I was euphoric as my friends kept congratulating me again and again.

“Rohit”

“Just a minute”, I answered as about sip the free wine in celebration.

“Rohit”,

I felt a tap on my shoulder and this was not a normal stroke. It was well manicured hand with a tiny piece of pearl sitting on the middle figure.

Yes , it was Shweta… I was surprised as I gave her a very gentle hug.

“Your clue was very obvious Rohit…

Kyra theatre….

Thurdsay…..

7Pm ”


You are not such a jerk dude, as I initially thought”

And I said, “You are very smart and beautiful too”

She blushed as she uncurled her numerically twice dangling strands.

We both then strolled towards the dining lounge waiting for each other to speak.


Trying to break the silence, I asked

“By the way, did you call Sandy?”

“Ohh Sandy , your friend who tried his best to line me?
But I don’t have his number…”


“Hey but he told me he scribbled it in the last page of film fare”

Shweta gave a huge smile and she laughed her heart out as if I cracked a quirky joke. I patted my back for my IMPROVED Sense of humour.

“No wonder my papa had slashed the last page of the Film fare, and I thought he had an hot shot on Mallika Sherwat”

I giggled too…The joke was worth laughing…We then feasted on the best lip smacking dish of the Kyra and the smoothest sparkling Wine.

“By the way, you know something?”

“What ?”

“Your father has a hot shot on Mallika Sherwat?, I can tell you”

“and how do u know?”

“Every men in love does that”

“Youuuu…..”,
and she chuckle and giggled, came v close to me and hit me naughtily with the tissue paper….

I gave her the tightest hug of the world

She closed her eyes…

I kissed her…

5 comments:

Nanda said...

Very interesting..Nice one !!

vivek chandan said...

Nice baby..keep up the good work :)

Anonymous said...

Kim Baby, Ishq Pyar Mohabbat ho gaya hai tumhe. Get a fixed account soon.....

Nirupam said...

@ Kim Bhaiya you are bloody sweet at romantic stories :D

Nirupam said...

Btw, I had just hit your blog to read or rather re-read
http://kimkam.blogspot.com/2007/02/walk-to-remember.html